Female circumcision is mainly carried out in western and southern Asia, the Middle East and large areas of Africa.
In an unsanitary condition using razor blades, scissors, kitchen knives and even pieces of glass are reused for many girls and it leads to infection also. Anaesthesia - will get for very few lucky ones.
It also known as female genital cutting (FGC) or female genital mutilation (FGM)
Aktion Mensch. Female circumcision has nothing to do with religion.
Female genital mutilation: Key Facts from WHO
- Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or injure female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
- An estimated 100 to 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.
- In Africa, about three million girls are at risk for FGM annually.
- The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
- Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later, potential childbirth complications and newborn deaths.
- It is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15 years.
- FGM is internationally recognized as a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
Not much heard about it in India ??? Do you ?
World AIDS Day and AIDS awareness poster (not funny)